Friday, December 31, 2010

What's Your Favorite Christmas Decoration this Year?

Have you started putting away your Christmas decorations yet? Before you do, let me ask you a quick question. What has been your favorite Christmas decoration this year?

Is it your tree filled with all sorts of ornaments or the beautiful wreath on your front door?

Maybe someone gave you a holiday platter loaded down with lots of Christmas cookies this year. Now that the cookies are all gone you've decided to display it on your kitchen counter in hopes that someone will fill it with cookies again.

Or, maybe it's that special angel or star placed on top of your tree. The one that is a priceless family heirloom or holds special childhood memories.

My favorite Christmas decoration is our family nativity set. It reminds me of my mother. Growing up we didn't have a lot of money. In fact, mom would use lots of candles during Christmas time because they were cheap and gave off such a beautiful scent in our home. I'd always help mom set up the nativity which was, besides our tree, the main decoration that always brought her such joy.

When I got married she gave me a nativity set for our very first Christmas. I had it for years but during our family's move to North Carolina, it was accidentally dropped and shattered in what seemed like a million pieces. I was so upset and decided to replace.

There was only one problem. I had a really hard time finding a nativity set that I truly liked. As I went from store to store, I saw shelves filled with Santa Clause, Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph trinkets instead of nativity sets. The ones I found were so small and basic. Until this year....

I approached my search for a nativity a little differently. This time I prayed first. I told God how much I longed to have a nativity set again. One that my children would remember when they grew up. Not something small and basic but a nativity that would be glorious and reflect the true meaning of Jesus' birth. A nativity that would take my breath away. It was two days later that my prayer was answered.

Take a look....

Honestly, the pictures don't do it justice. I wish you could come to my house and see the nativity set for yourself. You'd find it sitting right next to our breakfast table off of the kitchen which is the main hub of our home.

Each ceramic piece has so much detail. I love the palm trees and animals. Especially the camel. It is absolutely beautiful!

Once again, I'm reminded of how God really does care about the intimate details of my life and the desires in my heart, no matter how small they be.

I learned years ago to ask God for anything - no matter how small and significant -then thank and praise Him regardless of His decision.

I know that He loves me unconditionally and promises to work all things together for my good.

Because I trust Him, I have peace and confidence whether His answer is yes, no, or not now. I DO love it when He says yes though!

Every time I look at this nativity set, I think of my wonderful mom. Oh, how I wish she could see it now. It would definitely take her breath away too!

One last note...sorry about the formatting of this post. I still don't know how to transfer pictures into blogger without them getting all messed up. Maybe finding out how should be part of my New Years Resolution! Speaking of, have a wonderful and safe New Years celebration.

Sweet blessings,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: