Monday, March 7, 2011

Calm My Anxious Heart

Have you ever felt anxious or unsettled but really didn't know why?

The other morning I woke up feeling this way. My to-do list was small, there were no major problems looming over me, and I had gotten plenty of rest the night before. But, I still felt so anxious inside. It was as if there was a car motor running inside of me that I couldn't turn off.

At first, I decided to ignore the feelings and just go about my day. But, as my day went on the "motor" kept running. My plan obviously wasn't working. So, I switched gears and decided to lay down for 15 minutes to rest and pray. As I did, it dawned on me that I hadn't exercised in days.

I normally go to the gym 3-4 times a week to keep my energy up and my waistline in check but lately I had slacked off. I had made excuses and it was starting to show.

For me, exercise not only keeps my scale happy but it also reduces my internal stress levels. With only 30 minutes of cardio, my body releases lots of "happy" chemicals called endorphins which leaves me feeling energized and stress-less.

It works for me and I bet it will work for you. Are you feeling anxious today and can't quite figure out why? Try taking a brisk walk with a friend or dust off your bike and go for a ride. If you belong to a local gym, take time to go. Make it a priority to exercise and take care of yourself. You'll be so glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: