Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Personal Resolution

O.k. On Thursday I told you about my practical resolution for 2008. Today, I'm going to tell you about my personal resolution for 2008. There were two parts.

The first part was to just take care of myself a little better in 2008. Ya know...work out, eat right, take my vitamins, and drink my Mona Vie every day. Blah, blah, blah. There's nothing remotely special about this resolution. Everyone on planet makes this resolution each and every year. But, to my surprise, I actually stuck to it. Well, not exactly. Not every day. What was I thinking! Every day!!!

The second part to my personal resolution was to start a blog. I guess you can say I accomplished that too, but not really. Ya see, I wanted one of those pretty blogs with all the cool colors, awesome images, fancy fonts, clever video clips and soothing background music.

As crazy as it may sound, I searched for months, looking for just the "perfect" image for my blog. I checked all the popular web sites too. Do you have any idea how many images are on just one of those sights? ZILLIONS OF THEM!! The more I searched for that "perfect" image, the more choices I would find. Instead of being satisfied with one, I became increasingly compelled to search for more. It was a vicious cycle! One that I created and one that only I could stop.

Many of my friends created blogs in no time. Why was I having such a difficult time completing mine? Why couldn't I just choose an image and move on? My good friend, Renee kept telling me, "Leah, just start writing and don't worry about the other stuff". But, I couldn't get past the "other stuff".

I'm going to confess something to you. I have issues and one of them is perfectionism. Perfectionism breeds procrastination. When I can't do something perfect, I tend to put that something off until I feel it can be done just right. Well, that's silly! Who does everything perfect? Do you know anyone who is perfect?

Actually, I do and His name is Jesus Christ. How I long to be more like Him. He lived a completely perfect life without sin. Boy, wouldn't that make life a lot easier. Or would it? Jesus received a lot of persecution for living a life of perfection. People didn't understand Him at times. His actions were sometimes unorthodox to the majority. He often times came under much scrutiny. Talk about pressure! Pressure like that would cause anyone to sin, but not Jesus.

Although I'm not perfect, I serve a God who is and He is always there to help me. I just need to ask Him and then receive His help. What I've also learned is that I can go to God with big things and small things (like taking care of myself and starting a new blog). He is ready to help me no matter what my request is.

Just so ya know, I've forwarded my practical resolution for 2008 over to 2009 and so far I'm doing pretty good. Not exactly perfect though but that's o.k. with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: