Saturday, June 6, 2009

Here I am to Worship

I just love to read! There is just something thrilling about stretching open the tight binding of a brand new book, scanning through those crisp pages that often times stick together, and taking in that unusual scent of writer's ink.

This morning I started a new book called "The Air I breathe" by Louie Giglio. The caption on the back cover says "Everybody worships something. What captures your time and attention?"
When I read those two little sentences for the very first time (at my local bookstore), I can assure you they immediately captured my attention.

In his book, Louie doesn't waste any time and gets right down to business in the very first chapter. He states that "worship is simply our response to what we value the most. Worship determines our actions, becoming the driving force for all we do."

Those words really made me think. It gave me a whole different perspective on worship. I grew up to believe that worship is basically singing songs and hymns to God. Worship is something I do at church with other believers once or twice a week. Or maybe when I pop in a great Christian CD while I'm running errands in my car. I sing at the top of my lungs when my boys are with me and they just roll their eyes and say "oh mom, people are looking at you!"

But that is not how Louie describes worship at all.

Instead, he explains that it's not just the religious crowd who worships but everybody on planet earth. "Everyone responds to what they value the most. Everyone has an altar. And every altar has a throne."

He then goes onto share that " if you follow the trail of your time, affection, energy, loyalty and yes, even money, you'll find your throne. Whatever or whoever is on that throne is what or who you worship. " After reading this, I began to ask myself these questions...

How do I spend most of my time and energy?

Who or what am I committed to?

Where does most of my money go?

What do I value the most in life?

Who or what do I truly worship?

These were really tough questions! I have to tell you that the answers were painfully revealing and quite sobering, to say the least. Yet through this process, God specifically showed me areas in my life that need some adjusting. Subjects of focus that I have no business focusing on. People in my life that are getting to much of my attention. Energy spent on worldly things and loyalty in all the wrong places.

I decided to do a bible search on the word worship and discovered that it appears over 300 times. Luke 4 captured my attention as I read about how Jesus responded to the devil while he was in the wilderness for forty days. Christ's response to Satan sums up our answer to whom we are to worship.

Jesus answered, "It is written, 'worship the Lord God and serve him only.' " Luke 4:8

There's our answer! Now that we know the truth, I'd encourage you to ask the same questions that I asked myself.

How do you spend most of your time and energy?

Who or what are you committed to?

Where does most of your money go?

What do you value the most in your life?

What or who do you truly worship?

I pray that God gently reveals to you, as he did to me, the areas in your life that need some adjusting. Maybe some commitments that you've made to others which have been unhealthy. How about that one thing which captures your focus and energy throughout the day. What about the purchases you keep making that the worlds says will bring value and contentment to your life.

You and I were created by God and made for Him alone. We exist to worship him and reflect back to God his matchless glory. He alone should be the focus of our attention. He is the One and Only that we should worship. And, when we seek and worship him alone, he promises to take care of everything else in our lives. Now that's good news!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Leah, I just found you here! What a neat surprise:) Good thoughts on worship...I may need to add another book to my summer reading!

    Hugs,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: