Friday, June 19, 2009

What Now - Part One

Well, it's been 11 days, 2 hour and 36 minutes since my foot injury (not that I'm counting).

I headed back to the Dr. office yesterday for my follow-up visit.

The first question my doctor asked me was "how are you feeling?" My response was, "The strangest thing has happened."

I shared with him how I had been so good about icing, elevating and medicating my foot. How I was following ALL the rules. I proudly displayed my foot and boasted about how the swelling had gone way down. The only problem was that the pain in my foot had increased significantly and I didn't know why. I was experiencing more pain than on the day of my accident. The doctor started asking me some questions and it didn't take long for him to figure out what was going on.

Although I was icing, elevating, and medicating, I was also spending way to much time walking around on my wounded foot. Sounds ridiculous... I know! Although I was instructed to "take it easy and stay off of my foot", I was having a hard time actually doing it. I didn't mind all the icing, elevating and medicating but I didn't want to give up some other things that were important to me. I was still attempting bible study, meetings at church, picking up around the house, fixing dinner, driving my boys to sports activities, and even a secret trip to the grocery store. All on my injured foot!

Since I couldn't be trusted, my doctor ordered crutches for me and gave strict instructions to actually use them - everyday - all the time. Just when I thought my routine had been limited to the tenth degree, here was just another restriction and it was a big one.

This morning I poured out my heart to God in total frustration. I already knew that He was trying to teach me the art of resting through this whole accident and healing process. I really was trying to rest as much as I could. I thought I was doing a pretty good job. I had cut way back on my normal responsibilities. Why wasn't it enough!

Now, I would have to have to tote around these cumbersome stupid crutches. People stare at you when you're using crutches. I didn't want anyone noticing me, let alone staring at me! It's almost been two weeks and I'm in worse shape than when I started!

I wasn't a happy camper by any stretch of the imagination.

Fortunately, God allowed me to blow off some steam. I'm so thankful that He's full of grace and mercy. After all, He could have fried me for acting like such a spoiled little brat.

After I had my little moment, I got real quiet and asked again, "Lord, what are you trying to teach me?"

I'll tell you what his response was in tomorrow's post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: