Monday, June 7, 2010

Brainology 101

Friday afternoon someone asked me, "So what are your plans for the weekend?" and my response was, "not a whole lot". Ha! That sure was an understatement.

Although I didn't have a lot of specific plans for the weekend, each day some how became gobbled up with everyday mom stuff... cooking meals, running errands, washing clothes, running more errands, cleaning the house, making beds, going to church, running more errands. Get the idea?

By the time Sunday night rolled around, I wanted nothing more than to:
1. Get my shower.
2. Plop into bed with a remote in one hand and a big bowl of rocky road ice cream in the other.
3. Find a romantic comedy that wouldn't require any brain power or sharp thinking skills.
4. Veg out for the rest of the evening.

I flipped through the channels and to my surprise there wasn't a single romantic comedy on t.v.. What on earth is wrong with this picture? I would think that surely the local t.v. station big shots would know that showing romantic comedies over the weekend is critical for some of their viewers and an absolute must for me.

I continued to flip from one station to another, almost giving up, when I came across the P.B.S. channel. Yes, they were having another one of their fundraiser marathons...(yawn). I had my finger prominently placed on the off button when something the broadcaster said grabbed my attention.

It was something like this: "Next up we have Dr. Daniel Amen who is going to tell us all about how we can better take care of our bodies and especially our brains". This certainly sounded nothing like a romantic comedy but it piqued my interest. Yes, I know, strange but true.

For the next two hours I was glued to the t.v.. Now hear me when I say I'm not an advocate for Dr. Amen and I'm unaware of his biblical views but I have to say that from what I could tell the guy is pretty smart. He explained, in layman's terms, how a person's brain works and what each of us can do to keep our brains working at optimum proficiency.

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff down and decided that I'd share it with you all this week. It's a lot of information so I'm going to break it down over several days.

I hope you'll check back tomorrow because I'll be sharing what types of food you can eat to help sharpen your thinking/memory and keep your brain fit.

I think you're going to be really surprised about what I found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: